Monday, April 21, 2014

Learning Curves



A friend of mine suggested that I send out last minute invitations to the meet and greet I held at Galerie PAVA last weekend. Manipulating photos onto a card, taking screen shots and reorganizing my mailing lists into specific groups are all making the publicity side of this business easier. Someone else suggested I send out a press release to entice the news media to visit the show. I was wondering what on earth I could say to pique the interest of the journalists when I remembered the fundraiser with which I am involved… Another piece of advise came from the web where it was suggested that I dig deep and reveal my heart’s desire with regard to my art. There are a few logistic hitches of course; that comes as part of the learning curve package. The fundraising event takes place on Thursday night and this is the long Easter weekend when nothing much happens in the business world. Yes, the notice is unsuitably short. And, yes, the exercise is worth doing if only to improve for the next opportunity. I was in a hurry. Quickly writing out the English version I tried a web translator and handed the “French” version to my very busy husband to verify. Much to my surprise he was unable to read it as my writing tends to be poetic and the translation was very literal. He complemented my competence in French by saying I could do much better and it would be more easily verified if I did. Okay. I can write better French than Google. Sigh… Once done he also showed me some examples of other press releases and I added a short two sentence note summing up who I am, contact info, and upcoming events. Whew!! We will see if all this effort brings any results. In any case, it is one more step into the world of professionalism. Life is good.

P.S. The fundraiser is for École Ste.-Jeanne-d'Arc (8505 68A St) in Edmonton, AB. I will be creating a mixed media painting during the evening for live auction. I have about three hours to complete the work before it goes up for bidding. Always exciting. Doors open at 7pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment