Monday, January 26, 2015

Boxes




There are several aspects to being artist involving creativity that is not necessarily considered creative in the usual mindset. One such activity is the creation of a means of transport which allows a painting to arrive at its destination undamaged. I have been recently accepted into the exhibition “Artist’s Choice” at the Federation of Canadian Artists in Vancouver. The work measures 40” x 60” on canvas for which I did not have a large enough box. Styrofoam is an excellent protection when accompanied by cardboard or the plastic equivalent, Corplast. So where does one begin?





I chose to cut the 4’x8’x2” Styrofoam to the same size of the painting so the end and side pieces would be a little larger covering both the painting and the first sheet of Styrofoam. Scoring the product with a utility knife it is easily broken off if it is situated along the edge of a table and carefully pressed so the scoring opens the crack separating the two pieces.



Corplast or cardboard is measured a little larger, about ¼ “ all round on the first sheet so the edges join one another. Again we score the first cut, bend the corplast and finish the separation using the bend as a guide for the knife.





Duct tape is an effective way to hold it all together. I separated the pieces so that should I need to ship more than one painting in this size all I need do is increase the size of the edgings. When shipping two, of course, I would put the canvas side together (each separated by their own plastic covering) for added protection.











I have noticed when shipping glass the mention of “fragile” usually causes damage… I do not intend to mention it again! Life is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment