Monday, January 19, 2015

Gray



So what constitutes gray? Is it just black and white mixed together? If so there are several different blacks on the market and each one has a slightly different look when mixed with white. There are different whites too. So even if we restrict ourselves to the limitation of black and white we would still have a variety of different results, some cool, some warm. Put together they even look like colours. Rembrandt used ivory black very successfully as a blue because blue was too expensive to buy in his day… We are so spoiled. Personally I have never been a fan of black out of the tube… It is very useful on occasion and I am not one to outlaw it so to speak. I just prefer mixing complementary colours. I am playing again. It is so good to be back in my studio playing with paint. At the moment I am mixing greens and reds together… Not really. I am layering them one after the other in order to create a darker gray surface. The balance must be there or the gray will be too green or too red. I am experimenting with interference colours, iridescence and thin layers of pure colour. So fun! I plan on mixing the colours together with white as well just to find out how they react to one another… Where am I going with all this? Only God knows! I’ll just follow the trail. Life is so good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment