Monday, February 2, 2015

Inventory


Another part of being a professional artist that is usually not considered very creative is bookkeeping. I beg to differ. Over the years I have developed numerous ways to simplify my bookkeeping process. It is quite complicated as there are more than one businesses involved. Lately we have narrowed it down to two. When it comes to inventory I have several sheets, one lists the materials I have on hand for my creative work, one for framing and another for student supplies. At one point I created a list of available paintings and subsequently discovered that in order to make the list useful for our accountant I would need to have each work assessed individually. Needless to say, due to exorbitant fee issues, the task was never completed. I did find out the cost of replacing canvas and framing without considering the paint tallied in the neighbourhood of almost seven thousand dollars. This year is a little different from the previous two or three years as most of my supplies have been in boxes over that period of time. Rather than actually opening the boxes and counting I had chosen to guestimate. This time, since I am finally unpacked, I went to the trouble of numerating everything. It is not quite complete. Only one inventory list is finished: the professional supplies total around $28000.00. Sigh. This is an expensive business. I am addicted. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing a painting come to life. Life is so good.    

No comments:

Post a Comment