Monday, March 9, 2015

Triggers, Spirals and Transformation



I suspect it is part of the human condition. This past week has provided distinct learning curves within the negative patterning of my being. Over the years I have become an observer of certain recurring triggers. We all experience them. Some of us can name them and others have no idea why they spiral into depression. A particularly powerful, deep-rooted hook set off the usual reactions within me. The regular routine for me is a period of pain, followed by anger and self-recrimination leading to severe depression and damaged relationships. This is not something I wish to repeat. In the past I have tried various forms of resistance: positive thinking, distraction, journaling and bubble baths. Recently I have discovered “Welcoming Prayer”. I must admit this is not something I do perfectly. What I have noticed however is a distinct difference in results. Instead of resisting I welcomed the pain, the feelings, the past memories. I welcomed them until I felt as if I really did welcome them: quiet, calm, soft words of repeated welcome. In the ensuing state of sadness I released the long held anchors of self-hate: I let go of my desire for perfection, I let go of my desire to be accepted, I let go of my desire for control, etc. The space created within me allows for hugs, nurturing and healthy grieving. Yes, I am grieving a loss. I am allowing the pain and in the allowing it passes. Instead of months or weeks the process takes a few hours. The second and third triggers were not dealt with so effectively but I did manage to take the birthday cake to the party as is. Its abstracted nature did not detract from its excellent taste! Life is still good.

The link for more information on the Redwater Art Society workshop “Developing Landscapes in Acrylic” is: Alannah Ronnie norleas@shaw.ca or Carol Mervyn Keon lostdogartc@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment