Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter



The warmer weather heralds the changing seasons as more enormous snowflakes descend from the sky. It is lovely if we can see beyond our desire for green. The green is coming. We can see it in the grass already. Renewed life. That is what Easter is all about. In this new season, in this new year, I have a new goal: to live serenely with my imperfections so that those around me find safe refuge in my presence.* I almost managed last night. While preparing some icing for the cakes I did get angry… it is all about perfection! I had dumped in the icing sugar and the margarine when I noticed some flour on the mixer. I had forgotten to wash it before hand. Ordinarily this would not be a problem except I was preparing the icing for some gluten free, dairy free cupcakes. Deciding not to waste the preparations I dumped in more icing sugar for the carrot cake, having in mind some cream cheese embellishments. The chocolate powder was there. Handy. I dumped in a scoop then I leaned on the sink trying to decide what to do with four cups of chocolatized icing sugar. Of course, my concerned husband asked me what was wrong. At that point I made a discovery about myself. If given enough time I can actually calm down enough to speak rationally. Explaining my mistake just adds fuel to the fire. My sojourn at the sink had helped enormously. In any case the chocolate icing was finished. My daughter said she could use it and took it home. I washed the machine, finished the “free” icing, made the cream cheese version and sat down to enjoy the card game… Life is good.   

*Adapted from a quote by St. Thérèse de Lisieux

No comments:

Post a Comment