Monday, September 14, 2015

Colour



We are choosing to drive the smaller roads, sometimes rather sketchy in upkeep. There are advantages and disadvantages… we can stop anytime and I can do a sketch in ink or in colour. On the other hand we tend to get slightly lost! Often I see something interesting in a stretch of road without a possibility of stopping (narrow, hairpin turns and such). Several kilometers later there is a turnout; I have yet to be inspired by what I can see at these points, if I can see, between the trees and bushes. Yesterday was different. The Italian landscape is so unique. The first time I squeezed to the side of the road I walked a little way to discover all the approaches to the magnificent river below were private property. We kept going and I took a few photos the second time around. At the third halt I actually had enough room to park comfortably (both the car and myself!). I took out my paints. I had just completely the drawing when it began to sprinkle. Ignoring the water I took out my paints and the drops ceased, for a time. I had just reached the point where all I had to do was fill in the greens when it really began to come down. There ended the lesson for the day. Once we had found our lodgings and before supper I set to finishing the watercolour by memory. Somewhere near Aqualagna, Italy. Life is good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment