Monday, November 16, 2015

Editing


Not too long ago I took in an excellent workshop on editing my work. This is something I do regularly with the drawing part of my repertoire. I did it again this morning as I selected the best sketches I had made on Saturday during the “Draw Til You Drop”. Unfortunately I could only stay for the first six hours and I enjoyed every minute of it as I ploughed through piles of paper. So how does one edit? With the drawing segment I do it in two stages. The first is a quick elimination of what I consider unacceptable quality. The second round occurs just before the “Naked Show” in June when I whittle what I have done over the year to a mere five drawings for submission. In effect it is the same procedure for paintings except one needs at least twenty paintings in a body of work in order to come out with the ten best. Instead of ripping up the canvas the unacceptable are turned to the wall and then the diamond is selected to determine if the remaining images measure up to this one gem. I have not done this yet. I had too many deadlines lately to allow myself this important step. I am working on a new series which will consist of about thirty paintings in all. Since I do not have a deadline the editing will be done in the peace and quiet of my studio sometime in the spring. Life is good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment